§ The parable of the Good Samaritan is largely misunderstood.
- Luke 10:21-24ܠܘܩܐ ܝ:21 – 24
§ This parable has become a very popular story in defending the church’s interest in social justice. Forms of socialism, even Marxism, lean on Good Samaritan.
- Sojourner’s organization
- Jim Wallis, American Pastor and Activist
1) Intent of the parable (vs. 25-29)
a) He was trying to trap Jesus and find reason to have Him executed`.
b) Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
c) What does the law say?
- Deuteronomy 6:4-5ܬܢܝܢ ܢܡܘܣܐ ܘ:4 – 5
- Numbers 19:18ܡܢܝܢܐ ܝܛ:18
- Matthew 22:40ܡܬܝ ܟܒ:40
d) You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.
- Matthew 5:44-45ܡܬܝ ܗ:44 – 45
- Deuteronomy 10:19ܬܢܝܢ ܢܡܘܣܐ ܝ:19
2) Parable – Purpose of the parable is to destroy the self-righteousness (vs. 30-35)
a) Vs. 30 – A man – Joshua 18:17ܝܫܘܥ ܒܪܢܘܢ ܝܚ:17
b) Vs. 31 – Priest – Leviticus 19:34, Psalm 37:21, Micah 6:6-8ܡܝܼܟܼܐ ܘ:6 – 8
c) Vs. 32 - Levite
d) Vs. 33 – A Samaritan – John 8:44ܝܘܚܢܢ ܚ:44
e) Vs. 34 – He came to him
f) Vs. 35 – He stayed with him all night. Love without limit
3) Jesus changes the question
a) Who is my neighbor?ܡܵܢܝܼ ܝܠܹܐ ܫܒܼܵܒܼܝܼ؛
b) Are you a neighbor?ܝܵܪܲܒ ܐܵܢܵܐ ܝܼܘܸܢ ܫܒܼܵܒܼܵܐ؛
- Romans 3:24ܖ̈ܗܘܡܝܐ ܓ:24
- Romans 7:10ܖ̈ܗܘܡܝܐ ܙ:10
This story is designed to make people feel guilty for not loving God perfectly and loving others perfectly, and then running to the One who alone can provide forgiveness for that sin and eternal life.